What game did you last play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What game did you last play?

I rented the Bourne Conspiracy...about to play it now.

Comment

X-men origins: Wolverine - stereotypical, film-based game, level design not so interesting, its really brutal (I hate brutality), whats good - unreal engine

Comment

Just finished MGS4, and honestly...meh.

It reminds me of Return of the King and how the ending just seemed to keep dragging on. The game is in desperate need of someone who knows how to edit dialogue properly so that it flows fast, while still getting the point across.

MGS1 is always going to be best storyline, mainly for the following reasons:

- They kept it realistic to some degree. All the scientific talk about rail guns and nuclear weapons were quite effective at showing the player the gravity of the situation
        - Bosses were unique characters with their own personalities that were explained along the way. Every boss had their own part of the story to play.
        - Cutscenes were full of substance and detail. MGS4 featured dialogue about how to cook eggs properly!!

But the real kicker for me was the absence of the main MGS theme. I don't care if they were scared of copyright, that theme makes the whole series!
        Remedy's currently known projects:
        Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Morry View Post
          Just finished MGS4, and honestly...meh.
          I found this to be a great ending to a supreme series of games. I loved MSG4. Especially the nostalgic parts, and the epicness of cutscenes. It's like watching a movie sometimes, but hey, that's kind of how Metal Gear has always been. Not a shocker there.

Originally posted by Morry View Post
          But the real kicker for me was the absence of the main MGS theme. I don't care if they were scared of copyright, that theme makes the whole series!
          That part I agree on. The MGS theme is as epic as the series themselves. Shame it wasn't there... Harry Gregerson-Williams (spellcheck?) did a fantastic job putting it together.
          "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Gregson Williams.

But yeah, MGS4...you kind of have to accept it for what it is, and how well it's done. Agreed, MGS is my favourite game of all time. MGS4 was great, but it really suffered from having to explain every single little unexplained detail of the previous games.

I really didn't mind not having the MGS theme in it, the one they used from MGS3 suited everything just fine.
            NEVER FORGET
            Jonathan "Maddieman" Hallier;
            5/13/05 - 5/4/10, 5/21/10 -

Comment

What's this about the MGS theme not being in it? How would they lose copyright on a theme they composed? Or are you talking about the MGS2 version of the theme that Harry Gregson-Williams composed?

The only tune I've heard from MGS4 was the one featured in Smash Bros Brawl -- sounds fantastic, just as good as the others.

As for the long, drawn-out, nonsensical dialogue, I think it's one of those things you have to put up with, if not expect. I've come to terms with MGS2 now, but I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 is along the same lines.

--

The last games I played were Quake Live (no more zen moments for me - turns out I suck), and Neverwinter Nights. Was okay, but the dungeons kind of drag on a bit () ... dungeon crawling gets a bit tedious after a while.

Comment

They didn't use the MGS Theme because, well, let's face it, it didn't fit in MGS4. They still had "The Best is Yet to Come" which was brilliant. I think it had to do with MGS4 trying to keep away from the techno-themed soundtrack of MGS, and instead, improve upon the Hollywood score that Williams had composed for MGS2 and 3.
                I hope for nothing. I fear nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
                  The only tune I've heard from MGS4 was the one featured in Smash Bros Brawl -- sounds fantastic, just as good as the others.
                  That's a remake of Love Theme. It's not the same, but yeah, it' good.
                  "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

I can understand that a specific arrangement or style might not suit the mood of the new game, but the basic MGS melody/tune hasn't changed between games.

Anyway, I decided to look it up. I couldn't understand why there would be a copyright issue when the theme was composed internally by Konami. Nor could I understand why there'd be a problem, considering that HGW was still on board for the last game. A plagiarism claim makes much more sense.

The Metal Gear Solid Main Theme, composed by Tappi "TAPPY" Iwase, was notably omitted from the soundtrack, and the soundtrack of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. In an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly, Norihiko Hibino stated that the company had difficulties with "Russian composers who said we stole their music", referring to an occasion when a group of Russian games journalists presented Hideo Kojima with a composition by Georgy Sviridov and claimed this had been plagiarised to create the theme. Hibino states that "they didn't actually", however the company was "too sensitive about the situation" and elected to drop the theme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_G...ots#Soundtrack

Comment

Unfortunately, its main strength was because it was the product of blatant plagiarism — near-identical to classical Russian composer Georgy Sviridov's "The Winter Road" — and the disgraced theme is thus no longer used by Konami.
                      http://www.squareenixmusic.com/revie...earsolid.shtml

There were parts in the game, where it felt like it was building up to the big fanfare, but then just as it is about the play it - another melody was used. I could tell they almost played, but changed the last couple of notes.
                      I felt cheated!!!

Sure, the references back to past games were good and they explained all the loose ends, but it felt like it was missing its own character. Act IV hit the nail, that was easily the most memorable part of the game. Everything else felt like it was just trying to link up all the previous games, having no real "mission" to complete.
                      Regarding cutscenes, for every epic cutscene, there was a boring one, where I could go and make myself a drink, come back, and they would still be rambling on about some useless topic. They could have halved the game length if they removed all the conversations where Snake simply replies with a "uugghh".
                      Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Playing a lot of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Really amazing game. Superb graphics amazing car physics ...but unfortunately no damage modell

Comment

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's actually really, really good. Why? Because it is a straight God of War clone. It's God of War to a tee with an X-Men outer shell. But it's awesome. It also has some Uncharted in there. It's not as good as either of those games but, it is solid. If you're going to copy gameplay...God of War and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune would be excellent choices, so I'm not complaining. It also uses the Unreal Engine...lots of good stuff in this one.

Comment

Playing Cryostasis in Windows 7, it's creepy and weird and really cool. Here's some pics.

Spoiler:

Yeah there is a prison cell in that things head!!!!

Also I did run into the game ending bug pointed out by the useless reviewers at IGN, but instead of crying about it like little consoletard noobs here's the work around, if anyone else should run into it. Go here:
                            C:\Program Files\Aspyr\Cryostasis\Data\Scripts (replace c: with whatever drive you have the game installed to). Edit the init.cfg file in notepad. Change the entry d.consoleh =0/1 to a 1. In game open console with ~ then enter d.noclip 0 [enter] and d.fly 0 [enter]. Ta Da!!! The game ending bug encountered by IGN is no longer game ending.

Comment

played some call of duty 1 today. I love that game. I kind of got stuck, I keep dying at the same spot, I think it may be due to the mods I have installed.
                              NEVER FORGET
                              Jonathan "Maddieman" Hallier;
                              5/13/05 - 5/4/10, 5/21/10 -

Comment

Starting up GTA4, though given what little bits I have played at friend's places, I'm not having high expectations to find the ridiculous fun of the previous games. Seems a bit too serious for my liking, but I'll still play it through to completion.
                                Already, the physics of movement and driving is annoying me a little, given its a big difference from the previous games.
                                Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X