Gaming news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gaming news

I'm not Star Wars fan even though I was a project manager of Star Wars: The Old Republic for 5 years straight. However, this got me excited:

EA Gets Exclusive Rights To Make New Star Wars Games

Looks like we'll be getting some more Star Wars games in the future according to an announcement made by Disney and EA. Announced in a press release, Disney and EA will enter into "a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines."
    EA will be developing new Star Wars games for "a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres." Disney will have rights to develop new Star Wars games for "mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."
    DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral (Dead Space) will be joining Bioware (Star Wars: The Old Republic) to develop new Star Wars games under the agreement.

It's a shame Star Wars 1313 was cancelled - it looked impressive. But DICE (means awesome engine) and Visceral make me hope there will be something good as a result. Don't have anything against Bioware - loved working with them, but Bioware making Star Wars game is something they can easily pull off (hell, they can take a lot of assets from Mass Effect). But DICE and Visceral - that's unexpected and interesting.
    If you are afraid of gaining weight - drink 2 glasses of vine before every meal. Alcohol kills fear...

Comment

I'm not too happy about it, as EA has screwed up a lot of my favorite developers in the past - Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood...

What would have made me happy would have been an announcement that it would have been LucasArts, not EA. And that they were re-engaging with former developers like Factor 5 and Raven.
      Remedy's currently known projects:
      Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Well said. EA is just like Microsoft. They ALWAYS destroy the greatest games ever...

They also destroyed the developers behind the Mirror's Edge, and now they have their faces on this shitty Battlefield... -_-

I hope EA gets to be banished from this gaming world, for all we care.

EA in the past DIDN'T respect their customers(we know of an user incident by being deleting everything the kid paid for), and DIDN'T respect the great studios, just as Westwood studios(Red Alert saga, and Legend of Kyrandia saga(which I currently play now)) and many more studios.

If they don't bring out the game EVERYONE wants, I won't buy another game of theirs till they hear us out.
        The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
          If they don't bring out the game EVERYONE wants
          I don't get how anyone can expect anyone to do that. There's no possible way to please everyone. Developers get a lot of different opinions on their games, rarely is a complete consensus reached about what exactly isn't enjoyable and how it could be fixed in a sequel. And that doesn't even factor in what the developers themselves want to do creatively. That's not to say I think EA is a good company, though. I want those games that make you think life's wonderful, I just don't think the "Have it your way" approach will work.

Comment

Hard to say what Disney is visioning for Star Wars at this point, but after they bought LucasArts they gave the impression that all the games and other products would be designed using Disney's upcoming vision of Star Wars, having that baseline on the new movies. First one was planned for 2015 already, or something like that, according to the rumors.

Now, EA isn't the best of game companies, nor companies in general. But the fact that they continue to vote it as the "Worst Company of The Year" in the Consumerist is something that I find ridiculous.

I mean, banks rob people of their money, oil companies etc. keep ruining the environment. There's also companies like the tobacco sellers... Since when have gamers become one nation of whiners? I don't claim that Electronic Arts deserves any philanthropist award either, they certainly could step up their care and knowledge of their customers, especially how they view different games on different target groups, but....

EA has still developed and released games for a long time now and done some pretty groundbreaking video and computer game history. As a big company, EA, like Disney in many ways, don't care, and to some extent, can't afford, to deal with things involving numbers of money less than "so and so" digits in it. There machinery of people and management burns more money than it takes to make a decision or a deal on something.

What EA has done with certain internet related gaming, like the always-online problem in SimCity, has been a bad choice, I admit it. But in my mind, it is still a long way from shifting the entire perspective on things to "worst of anything", really.

What comes to these free-to-play cases... I can't say that it's even as simple of a subject that you could just blame it on one company. The nature of f2p is problematic, considering it is based on an idea of "no-strings attached". Customers have their rights, and they should get the things that are promised to them, but the people of the internet still forget that these are in many ways no longer products. And, even if they were, it just doesn't work like that.

It's not just about what is promised to customers, and their rights. It's also about customers' responsibilities, and even more importantly, the rights and responsibilities of the company that provides and keeps the game running.

I am not trying to say that I prefer EA over any company, but certain perspective needs to be had here, people are smarter than this. I often think that people who consume entertainment, especially video and computer games, are lacking some major parts of concepts and meanings related to that word "entertainment". It most certainly isn't a thing of "just take it". It's far from it.
            We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

Good news: Official Xbox Magazine reports that the next Xbox doesn't force you to be "always online", i.e. if your connection cuts off, offline games should still work.

Big effing relief.

Originally posted by OXM
              This just in: Microsoft's next Xbox is "engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet", according to what's alleged to be an internal memo, meaning it absolutely won't incite racial hatred against your broadband modem behind your back, or discriminate against your modem during job interviews in light of its customs or beliefs.

Now that the obligatory terrible introductory joke is out of the way, let's talk quotation marks. "Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet," reads the memo, which was apparently sent to all Microsoft employees (and thus, Ars Technica) in the recent past.

"There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status," it continues. "Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."
              End of the internets

Comment

When regarding to Microsoft, we ALWAYS hold a small basket. I don't trust the company till they announce it publically or show it in the internet inside XBOX 720.

Microsoft is famous for disrespecting the customers, so don't hold your breath on this.
                The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

Microsoft warranty works good. I guess it was something like two or three years. If my machine broke, I always got a new one fairly easy. Phone call to microsoft, UPS and that's it. A horrible company that hates gamers doesn't do that.

When I bought the original Xbox, before they cut the prize shortly after the release. Dont remeber the amount of prize drop, or the original prize.
                  They gave players who bought the console at the original prize, a free controller plus two or three games. It was long time ago, but it was something to compensate the prize cut for the gamers who bought it at, or near the launch date. Damn assholes.
                  I don't wanna be buried in a pet cemetary

Comment

A truely horrible company that hates gamers DOESN'T fix the problems their own consoles were created like this(see RROD). The truely horrible company only lets the problem to go on and force the gamer to buy a new console(meaning more money for them). A truely horrible company HATES fixing the problems she CREATED(See Windows, XBOX Live, etc).

They MIGHT be the best in the XBOX LIve(software), but they're HORRIBLE in creating the consoles based on the technical build(hardware).

That's why I'm NOT trusting them.

Comment

Originally posted by TannosukeGR View Post
                      A truely horrible company that hates gamers
                      What a bizarre accusation. I feel really sorry for the customer service reps at EA and Microsoft. I don't agree with everything the companies do, but there's still such a thing as a bad customer.

Comment

They did eventually fix the RROD, but I can see your point.

Microsofts philosophy on hardware seems to be to create best possible hardware as cheap as possible, that way they can sell the consoles cheaper than the competition. Sony mainly, Nintendo goes it's own personal route.
                        Or maybe they just sell the Xbox steeply under profit, it's hard to say without any knowledge of the inner workings of Microsoft. I can only speculate.

They did F up with the first generation of Xbox 360's. I have had fairly good luck with mine. I have had four 360's and bought two. So I had used up the warranty on my first 360. After the third died, they had already released the Pro model, which is still working without any problems. That would be my fourth 360.

It will be interesting to follow what they have done with the new console.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickman View Post
                          They did eventually fix the RROD, but I can see your point.

Microsofts philosophy on hardware seems to be to create best possible hardware as cheap as possible, that way they can sell the consoles cheaper than the competition. Sony mainly, Nintendo goes it's own personal route.
                          Or maybe they just sell the Xbox steeply under profit, it's hard to say without any knowledge of the inner workings of Microsoft. I can only speculate.

They did F up with the first generation of Xbox 360's. I have had fairly good luck with mine. I have had four 360's and bought two. So I had used up the warranty on my first 360. After the third died, they had already released the Pro model, which is still working without any problems. That would be my fourth 360.

It will be interesting to follow what they have done with the new console.
                          Now you know what was my point on this. If you think it very carefully, you could guess their plans. I'm not that stupid to spend more money to a new yet-another-problematic console.

After I learned what kind of company Microsoft was, I stopped supporting them. I'm a man of respectful virtues, which include respect, collaboration under certain rules to satisfy both sides, etc.

I don't like companies that disrespect the customers. I like the companies that fix every problem right away, so that no problem will be visible in the future, and help and guide the customers in the right path of solutions.

CD Projekt, Steam, Remedy Entertainment and a selected few are those companies I respect and follow, because they respected and were open-minded companies towards the customers and gamers. Every company should follow their example, and especially CD Projekt's example.

Comment

I still wouldn't say Microsoft is disrespecting the customer.
                            Let's make a car analogy. The Xbox is like an Opel. Most people know, that Opel isn't made with as good parts as a Mercedes is. But they don't make Opel's to break, on purpose so you can buy a new one, after the old brakes. They want to make a cheaper car, than Mercedes. For people that don't maybe need a Mercedes, but has basically the same toys as a Mercedes.

I guess it's just about whether you want an Mercedes, or an Opel.
                            You know what you are getting when you buy an Opel. Opel isn't a evil company whose goal is to suck you dry out of money....or is it.[ominous laughter]

Comment

Indeed. If someone is a genius and know how to create them, he would be allowed to fix them all.

Speaking of cars...

Lately, my co-patiots(Greeks) created not only the architecture of the models, but also the way to make the water like the oil for the car to run. For the water, it's under the presentation stage before being publiced.

Same goes for electricity. You could charge your car for a day or less and it would run for 1000klm away.

Let's discuss it somewhere else, because it's way off-topic.

Comment

The Humble Double Fine Bundle came out a while ago. They made a promo video of it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHM50bZRGY

Damn, Schafer scares me out so bad on that video.
                                We are what we choose to be, not what we want to be

Comment

Working...
                                X