Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice: Madness Returns

Rapture announcement!

A new game from the maturish depths of American McGee has hit Steam charts last week that looks to be an unusually creative noir tale with a unique take / taste of art. The main hero - the dreamy, gothic, fiery lady Alice, wandering through Victorian London and searching for the dark answers in her fantasy Wonderlands.

Despite the general critical scepticism, the ordinary gamers seem to be drooling, quick to crown it as the "game of the year".

This IGN review (if we disregard the score), convinces me this might actually be true

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQaFLB9T6rI

Creativity is so difficult to find these days.

Re: Alice: Madness Returns

If it recaptures the gameplay of the original then I'm in. Though I'll probably wait for a steam sale...

All the reviews i've read say yes. (Just they expected COD multiplayer or something?... so gave it a crap score)
    Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

I thought it looked rather interesting. I haven't played the first one, but this does undeniably look very, very interesting. It's on my list of games I'm considering getting.
      "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Does anyone know if the first game which is being given for all the buyers (as a code as far as I know) exactly the same as 10 years (don't remember precisely) before or with better graphics?
        If you are afraid of gaining weight - drink 2 glasses of vine before every meal. Alcohol kills fear...

Comment

Originally posted by Kahr View Post
          I haven't played the first one,
          BLASPHEMY!

Like only one of the greatest games ever. Slots in between VtM:B and The Witcher for me in posi #5 on my all time greatest games list of awesomeness.
          Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

I would get this, but the original movie scared the pants off me. Although come to think of it, maybe slaughtering each individual creature in Neverland as Alice will help me conquer that fear..
            Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post
              BLASPHEMY!

Like only one of the greatest games ever. Slots in between VtM:B and The Witcher for me in posi #5 on my all time greatest games list of awesomeness.
              Could be related to me never even having heard of it before.

In any way, I am enjoying this one. It's very good. I like the style.
              "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Finished the game just the other day, and I would say: definitely worth the price.
                One thing I just don't seem to understand. How come this is so underrated by critics?
                Last edited by Mr. Grays; 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM.
                Art is not about technique or skill. It's about your soul you put on your work

Comment

Originally posted by yogibbear View Post

You've earned my utmost respect.
                  "There's an old tale wrought with the mystery of Tom the Poet and his Muse and a magic lake, which gave a life to the words the Poet used.."

Comment

Daily deal on Steam - Alice: Madness Returns is offered for 12.5 euros (75% discount).

Go get it!

Comment

Originally posted by ancient View Post
                      Daily deal on Steam - Alice: Madness Returns is offered for 12.5 euros (75% discount).

Go get it!
                      I'll have to get a copy of that. The first one was great, but I heard pretty bad things about the sequel. I'll give it a try.

Comment

I'm currently playing it

The art style is totally cool, lovable, adorable, especially 2D cutscenes.

Alice as the model is gorgeous.

Animation effects (jumping, double jumping, floating) feel very smooth and enjoyable. The butterfly effect - when dodging attacks or accidentally falling into the abyss and then resurrecting - thumbs up up up!

Mouse seems slightly sensitive in the London bits, thus annoying, but these sections are short. Mouse acts as expected in the main "wonderland" aka gameplay part.

The training also feels intuitive - introduces concepts one by one.

So far so good

...and I can't wait to see Hysteria mode in action!

Comment

I picked up the 360 version for £12 the other week. Very good game but the levels are a bit on the long side.
                          Team Yu
                          https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
                          http://facebook.com/TeamYu

Comment

It took me 23 hours to complete it.

I don't quite get it why the critics are so nihilistic about the game but it shines on PC! And it's excellent! Especially in chapters 3 & 4 and near the end.

I've even checked the video footage for the original Alice that was released eleven years ago, out of curiosity, what's so different there. It turns out... it's the same mix of platforming and combat. So why the critics are so unhappy about today's Alice, I can't really understand.

I rate it 9 out of 10 and my only complaint is that sometimes there is a lack of hints how to fight a particular enemy type. And that Alice's umbrella is activated through Caps Lock + E.

That's basically it. The art style is gorgeous!

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Comment

Its because unless a game is called Call Of Duty they expect big change between each game.
                              Team Yu
                              https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYuNeedsYOU
                              http://facebook.com/TeamYu

Comment

Working...
                              X