• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post of the Month - Hall of Fame

==========================
    Post of the Month - Hall of Fame
    ==========================

We'll be using this thread to honour the best posts written each month, as explained in here. (Please use that thread to discuss winning entries)

The Post of the Month is awarded by the Alan Wake Forum staff with recommendations from Remedy staff for posts that we think deserve special recognition. Winning posts are chosen for their outstanding contribution to the forums, and strike the forum staff as interesting, imaginative, well argumented, or simply promote positive discussion and debate. Winning posts do not necessarily have to be related to Alan Wake or Remedy, and do not have to be excessively long.

The competition is open to all registered members of the forum, except forum and Remedy staff. There is at present no monetary reward for winning entires.

Past Winners

October 2006 (Special Mention) - Kschreck
    February 2007 - ancient
    March 2007 - Hatesink

Re: PotM - Hall of Fame

==================
    Award: Special mention
    Author: Kschreck
    Date: 10-05-2006
    -----
    (Original Post Link)
    ==================

First up, is a special mention to Kschreck's 'Alan Wake Screenshot Analysis' post. Everyone agreed that this was a great post, and would like to thank Kschreck for the time and effort put into writing it.

==================

First off I would like to say that the atmospher in this game is litterally phenominal. Only Remedy can pull off such a cinematic and creepy game that is actually good. This game looks like it will even out do Resident Evil 4 by Capcom and thats saying alot. Below I would like to take the time and analyze what my person thoughts are on the screenshots on www.alanwake.com.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_001.jpg

This screenshot gives me that creepy vive. I want to just run around and go nuts in the forest. It looks so atmospheric like something creepy is just going to appear out of no where and freak you out. It looks like you can carry a handgun and a flashlight at the same time. That is pretty cool and realistic. Alan Wake's character model is a little low res. Especially his hand but still it looks decent. I do hope you can actually explore buildings. We are entering next gen gaming afterall. I have faith in Remedy so I am betting that we will be able to enter these creep buildings. Even if there is nothing good to find it will help the atmosphere of the game. By the looks of it you that is your car in the background and I assume that you could get in it and leave at anytime. Would be nice if you are being chased by some creepy creatures and have to escape using your car. Even lasting for a few seconds running toward your car, starting it and getting out of there will be quite suspenceful. I have not seen much video feed aside from the official trailers and the recent Intel demonstration but I am hoping for some good character animations. For a game thats all about the storyline the characters must be detailed and look believable. Valve did a great job a couple years ago with Half-Life 2 and that was even released for the Xbox. I am sure this game will feature character animations at least as good as Half-Life 2. Overall I am impressed with this screenshot. Looks like it's going to totally creep me out. Can't wait!

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_002.jpg

This screenshot also looks decent. I like the creepy old coal mine. One thing I did notice is that the windows has textures on them. It looks like you won't be able to go inside of the upper rooms and explore around. I am just hoping that the textures are place holders until the insides are completely modelled. I want to explore inside the creepy coal mine buildings. I'm sure parts of the story could be included in the exploration of these buildings. If not then it will just add to the overall immersion of the world. I also notice the train has textures on the windows. At least it looks that way. I don't expect to be able to drive the train but I do hope that you can see inside of the train and other vehicles. It's one thing I disliked about the Max Payne titles. When you are going through the old warehouses and such you couldn't see through a lot of the doors and it look very fake. Specially after seeing the same low res texture used for almost every window. Hopefully all windows will be see through in this game.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_007.jpg

This is basically the same location as above from what I can tell. I can still see the same window textures on all the windows. This screenshot looks very creepy. It looks like it will be an important place and I would assume that you will be doing some exploration here.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_020.jpg

This screenshot looks great. With the sun setting and the player standing on the side of a road over looking a huge area field with moutains it shows just how big the world really is. I like how everything looks a little old and run down. It appears that the clouds in the sky are flat. Hopefully the developers can push for more realistic cloud formations and such. If they have not done already. Overall and impressive screenshot. I hope that in some scenes it will be windy, rainy and perhaps the trees and stuff will be blowing around to give a feeling of creepyness.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_024.jpg

I don't know what to make of this screenshot. We see a light source in the background. He is holding his flashlight so it's not that. He is running from something yet he doesn't look scared at all. No negative emotions on his face. We see an old barn or bridge and you can see holes and pieces of wood missing. Looks awesome. Grass on the other hand looks a little crappy. It only appears as if small portions on the ground will have grass while most of the ground will still use 2D grass textures. I guess this could be a limitation of the Xbox 360 hardware though it would be cool if the grass and foilage can be improved some in the final product. Another creepy scene. I am really digging the art style behind this game.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_017.jpg

This screenshot looks really good. Mostly everything here looks good. Some objects like the car that is opened looks a little low res but the foilage in the background and most aspects of the gas station looks good. I love the use of lighting effects. Speaking of lighting effects I really hope places like this are lit up at night. Would be amazing to drive by and see the gas station sign and lights all lit up. I am hoping that this is the case because the thought is amazing. The shadow effects are also amazing. In the trailer I saw a part where the sun was rising and the shadow went up accross the side of a building. It made the world feel very organic, creepy and real. Very amazing. It also appears that you will be able to go inside of the gas station. Looks like get the cabin keys. Unless you just get them from the employee outside. At anyrate I really hope you can explore these buildings. I do notice that the dirt textures here are very low res.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_004.jpg

This screenshot is definitely breathtaking. The amount of detail from the amazing water effects to the sun rising and setting effects. It's all there and it looks brilliant. I never seen such an atmospheric game. It looks like the world is real and it's definitely going to draw people into it. The fog effects look like they need to be tuned some. For some reason they don't look that real. Can't quite figure out why. Almost looks like it's layered on or something. Maybe I am being dumb but gosh I really hope we have to do something in the lake. Perhaps ride across it in a row boat to get to a certain area. Tie it into the story even. Maybe Alan finds out that something is in the lake and needs to find out what it is. Maybe he finds out it's a body. How about going fishing? HA HA ok ok I am dreaming to much now.

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/...e_2006_003.jpg

Another astonishing screenshot showcasing the living world of Bright Falls. It looks so freakin real. I want to drive down that road and perhaps get out just to look around and explore.

Overall this game is astonishing. For years I have always dreamed of the days that gaming reaches realism. However it wasn't just the console hardware that has slowed down gaming reach this quality but the costs of creating these grand games. It's no easy task creating a game like Alan Wake. I have high hopes for this game but I am betting some stuff won't make it in due to costs and time. Many games today downright suck and feel like rush jobs or glorified tech demos. Half-Life 2 was decent but it took Valve nearly 6 years to create that game. Most first person shooters today feel generic. Call Of Duty 2 and 3 are boring now and feel to similar to the original Call of Duty. The whole experience feels fake. Quake 4 and even Prey are the same way. To linear and to broken. Halo was a great game considering it was a launch title. I was amazed when that came out. It delivered an epic story. Short but good.

I don't even know what is possible on the Xbox 360's hardware. Can the game actually look as good as those pictures? Several developers claim so yet not to many games on the Xbox 360 even come close to the graphics of Alan Wake. I wonder if Alan Wake uses Havok 4.0 physics technology? I wonder if this could help Remedy in anyway. This allows game developers to create game textures of the same resolutions and keeping the file size 70% smaller then needed. This has been the talk of the internet as of lately and could help keep the file size down for Alan Wake. To help ensure it fits on a DVD-9 when it is released.

To go further, Microsoft has announced that they will be releasing a patch later this year that will enable the Xbox 360 to output 1080p for both movies and games. IGN has the details on that here. Is it possible to do a game like Alan Wake in 1080p? I didn't think so and I am still not sure but the development team behind the game Lair for the PS3 has their game running at 1080p and 60FPS. Whats more important is that the game also renders 32 square miles of terrain and can have over 3000 enemies on the screen at one time but whats even MORE impressive is the developers claim that the game is using less then half of the PS3's power. While I think Alan Wake looks better some people claim that Lair looks better to them. You can watch a demonstration of this video here. In theory if the developers can do that stuff with Lair and use not even half of the PS3's CPU I am assuming that Remedy would not have any problems doing 1080p and 60FPS with Alan Wake with full detail. Now these are two totally different games and I know practically nothing about developing a game so I can't really make knowledgeable assumptions here. Just me specualating. At anyrate Lair does look good, big it does do full day and night cycles and it does have amazing water and physics, so I am excited to see what Remedy can do with Alan Wake once they learn how to fully harnest the power of the Xbox 360. The Lair developers claim that all 2-3 generation PS3 games should be able to pull off 1080p with ease. Will this also be the case with the Xbox 360? Who the heck knows.

Getting pass the graphics of Alan Wake I am just as interested in seeing how the gameplay is. Gameplay can make or break a game. Even if the game looks astonishing. The gameplay for Max Payne was pretty decent and bullet time was cool and fit the game very well. I just hope the character animations are good. Would be cool if Alan Wake had similar gameplay as Resident Evil 4. What got me about Resident Evil 4 was how well everything worked. The A.I. blew me away. They where freakin smart. You enter a bulding and put something in front of the doors the enemies would actually bust open the windows. If you where upstairs the enemies would either try and grab a ladder and litterally set it up and climb up and into the window or would simply throw ****tails up into the windows to try and smoke you out. The enmies could even climb over fences and such. Amazing stuff and this was just a GameCube game. I also like the quick actions where it would say "Press A" to jump out of a window or perhaps stab an enemy in the face and then would do a quick cutscene showing the action. The motorboat scene was very awesome where you had to battle this massive boss in the lake while driving around.

You have to see it in full view to really understand just how epic that scene was. So why bring up RE4? Well RE4 had a lot of positive aspects in gameplay. It was filled with exploration, scares and surprises. While Alan Wake looks to be along ways off it can't hurt to talk about the gameplay. I would honestly suggest the Remedy developers to play through the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4 if they have not done so yet. Amazing game. Anyways I just thought I would share some thoughts on what could possibly be the best Xbox 360 game ever. I have high hopes for this game. Perhaps to high but I can't help it. Cinematic games have always been a part of my overall dream of total virtual reality. While thats along ways off it looks like Alan Wake will deliver the perfect immersive atmosphere for such technology. I simply can not wait to see more of this immersive game in action. This game sort of reminds me of the Stephen King movie, The Tommyknockers. Anyways keep up the great work guys because in a couple years from now you may be known as the developer who one uped games like Half-Life 2 and Resident Evil 4.

Comment

Re: PotM - Hall of Fame

==================
      Award: PotM February 2007
      Author: ancient
      Date: 02-15-2007
      ------
      (Original Post Link)
      ==================

February's Post of the Month was awarded to ancient for his post about why an Alan Wake Multiplayer wouldn't work conceptually or strategically. We felt ancient's points were well argued and worthy of further discussion.

Runners up: Aavenr, X360Ghost, 93montero
      ==================

Someone has already mentioned that the multiplayer could have worked for Max Payne as the game was quite close to the standard shooter. Yet I can't imagine it for Alan Wake. No way.

This is a completely different type of game as I imagine it. Hunting your fellow friends in the 10x10 km area of Bright Falls? Even if that could be fun, which I doubt, it would ruin the somewhat mystical aura each place visited in single-player will have.

It's a strategic option to visit those places in-context provided by the Remedy and keep the impression controlled. You are no longer interested in a magic trick when the secret is revealed, right? Same for places where a strong, lasting impression is intended, later to be discussed and spread as Alan Wake mythology (just like Twin Peaks is discussed among its fans). Feeling the mystery, double/triple/quad interpretations is the key for the game's longevity.

Resources is another issue and I fully agree with Remedy's ideology to excel at one core thing at a time. Being good enough (but not perfect) at two things creates a weaker overall impression and this is not the way to go - even though tempting (hey, the public is demanding!). My experience as a software developer again proves Remedy has chosen an absolutely correct and optimal strategy by crossing out multiplayer from the feature list.

My 1.5 cents

Comment

Re: Post of the Month - Hall of Fame

==================
        Award: PotM March 2007
        Author: Hatesink
        Date: 03-16-2007
        ------
        (Original Post Link)
        ==================

March's Post of the Month was awarded to Hatesink for his post about driving physics in Alan Wake and his ideal driving model that would work with the game best. It raised a great in-depth discussion and we felt it was rewarding of being the Post of the Month.

==================

I've always loved driving simulations (I love Illusion Softworks' Mafia (and had the fastest lap time on the forums for the Lost Heaven racing circuit)), and have played so many racing sims I've lost count.

My concern is that the driving model in Alan Wake might not turn out to be as good as it could be (since there's such a huge number of gamers out there who really love driving sims, I think it'd be a total tragedy if Alan Wake doesn't have a great (if not the best) driving model of all the free-roam games (apart from maybe World Racing, which is a dedicated racing game with a free-roam environment)).

I'd very much like to see faithful driving physics (a faithful simulation), at least as good as that of Illusion Softworks' Mafia, if not better.

Also— the player character viewpoint. Please please please can we have a driver's eye-view first-person viewpoint (as if we're actually the driver sitting behind the wheel of the car). The Mafia driving model was excellent, but it still had bad first-person viewpoints (as if you had your chin resting on the centre of the dashboard). Please please can we have a 'head-cam', first-person driver's eye-line perspective (as if we're actually sitting in the driver's seat).

[SIZE="3"]My Driving Wish-list:[/SIZE]

The ideal situation might be to have as realistic a driving simulation as possible, but with a slider that allows you to adjust the level of realism from 'arcade' to 'real' (as was implemented in World Racing), so that those who don't like realistic physics can adjust it to their taste, and those of us who like steering with break & gears, and using the rock & roll of the suspension to drift the cars around the corners, can be just as happy.

A driver's eye-view first-person viewpoint. Please please can we have a 'head-cam', first-person driver's eye-line perspective (as if we're actually sitting in the driver's seat).

Also 360 degree steering (such as implemented in Xicat's sadly overlooked and totally underrated Lotus Challenge), where you push the thumb-stick forward and cycle it around the complete 360 degree thumb-stick orbit to turn the wheels further (up to full lock) with much much more precision.

And wheel support with force feedback for the PC version of the game.

What are other peoples thoughts about the driving model in Alan Wake?

Comment

Working...
        X