Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum/Site Improvements - What would you like to see? (Please comment)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum/Site Improvements - What would you like to see? (Please comment)

This is site related only and not related to Alan Wake, so please no posts saying "New Screenshots" or "New Media" etc.

Are you happy with the way the forums are currently? Is there anything you would want to see added here.

Do you feel we need a frontend for the news? Or are you fine with how the news is handled now. BrightFalls.com was our frontend but unfortunately due to a crash went down, since everything was handled on the forums there was no rush.

So if theres anything you would like to see then say so here. These forums are for you, the community, so feel free to suggest anything

---
    EDIT: Just to reiterate: This topic is for suggesting improvments to these forums and alanwake.com. All suggestions for the Alan Wake game should be posted here: Alan Wake Wishlist. Thanks -Maddieman

Re: What would you like to see? (Please comment)

I would like to see a Karma-like thingy. Like the thing they have on tauonline.org. At least, some kind of ranking system. That would be nice.
    "All a soldier needs is his rifle, his ammunition and his tea"
    Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm satisfied currently forums.
      Of course,some new features would be nice.
      Keep up the good work!
      Bright Falls: There must be some kind of way out of here.

Comment

I don't have any issues with the forums. They are on-point in my eyes. Nothing to complain about yet.

Comment

Oh, I found a flaw in this otherwise cozy forum

Log-in/log-out procedure violates certain user interface (UI) friendliness principles. First, there's no need to confirm logging in with "thank your for logging in". None of the forums do and this is an unnecessary distraction. The existence of this message implies it's important in some significant way yet, in fact, it's a trivial confirmation - a commonly found UI annoyance. Plus, in this particular case, I should spend a couple of seconds waiting until I'm redirected to the forums. Waiting = not good

Secondly, when logging out, the choice of where to go after should be removed. Again, it violates UI friendliness and increases user confusion. Choose one option as a default behavior and eliminate this screen completely. My thinking is the user should return to the main forums index.

And remove the confirmation "Do you want to log out?” It's unnecessary because: a) it's very unlikely to hit "log out" by accident; b) even if it happens by accident, there's no irreversible damage done.

This was the voice of a developer/UI designer
          Last edited by ancient; 05-19-2007, 11:59 PM.

Comment

That should more be directed to the developers of the forum software we use, vBulletin:

http://www.vbulletin.com/

Comment

Oh, I thought it's configurable. I'm more used to PHPBB style forums. Anyway, it's not the end of this world to wait a couple of seconds

Comment

Yes. Some sort of ranking style thing would be cool. At first glance, a newb could easily see who's talking to them.
                <insert cool digital image here>

Comment

I personally do not like this kind of ranking features, I find it adds complexity to the screen without bringing much in return. There are details like "Previous Thread | Next Thread" links that I absolutely never use, but since they are small and only appear once per page, that's fine. Ranks and grades are displayed in every post and different for every user... I don't like them For me, they go with picture-sigs and animated avatars: distractors from the content and discussions.

EDIT: I agree with Ancient about the "thank you for logging in, please wait" screen, but I also understand that's a feature bundled with the application you're using, so that's fine. I don't really see why such a powerful and seemingly well-done tool came with such a design mistake (as Ancient explained), but oh well. Cookies make this better anyway, it's just about finding something to criticize
                  Last edited by Corwin; 05-21-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Personally, I would like to see some sort of front page for the forums, so it looks a bit more...official. It could be done in the style of a blog that link in to the forum posts. A recent example is the Fallout 3 blog http://fallout3.wordpress.com/ which I visit on a daily basis to find the latest news.
                    For visitors, it would mean they don't have to trawl through the forums to find information on the game. All the latest news and tidbits are just on the front page in blog format. This reduces the effort needed to make everything a proper news post and we can also give smaller things a bit of coverage too.
                    Remedy's currently known projects:
                    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Thanks for your visits Morry
                      I just wanted to remind that my blog is unofficial though.

I am following Alan Wake with great curiosity, all the best.
                      Fallout 3 Blog

Comment

Personally, I would like to see some sort of front page for the forums, so it looks a bit more...official. It could be done in the style of a blog that link in to the forum posts.
                        ADM and I have been talking about a news frontpage as a possibility for a few months now (or resurrecting Brightfalls.com as an alternative). I'd love to hear what you guys think about this, because personally, I'd like to see it happen too.

Comment

I didn't get much from the site, but I have a question if something might work.

A spell-checking-system.

That would be good for the ones who aren't that sure about their english. And the members could edit it, but only if the admins thinks it's okay.
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

The latest version of Firefox comes with a built in spell checker that checks your writing as you type, you could look in to that if that is what you are after.
                            Remedy's currently known projects:
                            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Morry View Post
                              The latest version of Firefox comes with a built in spell checker that checks your writing as you type, you could look in to that if that is what you are after.

Yes, firefox have a spell-checker. But everyone don't have firefox. And instead of getting firefox, it would be nice to have it here already.
                              Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X